ATHENA Horsemanship Method 1: equine training track
Duration: 3 days (aprox. 6h per day)
- $1500 covers the training of up to 5 participants; price includes Evaluation Phase for participants that decide to become ATHENA℠: Horse Training for Development & Growth Practitioners)
Qualification for: Basic ATHENA℠: Horse Training for Development & Growth Practitioner
- Therapeutic riding instructors
- Equine managers
- Conditioning teams
- Anyone who wants to improve their equine training skills
- Age 16 and older; neuro-typical only (for young adults on the spectrum check with your trainer regarding participation)
- Must be able to comfortably walk in arena footing for extended amounts of time.
What will be covered in ATHENA: Horse Training for Development & Growth 1?
- Theory and basic neuro-science: A brief history of classical training: how this work can strengthen an equine partner physically and mentally so that they provide the most therapeutic movement for participants and feel good while doing it.
- Equipment: what you need, how to use it, why it matters, and where to get it.
- Introducing equine partners to long lining: building and strengthen the topline.
- Introducing equine partners to the 3 phases of lunging: creating balance, muscle, and rhythm.
- Introducing equine partners to the start of in hand work: releasing the 3 points of resistance, shoulder in, and quarters in. Creating an equine partner that says YES!
What to bring
- Please bring appropriate footwear (closed toed shoes) and gloves.
- Please bring plenty of water to drink and something to snack on.
- Notebook and pen